Friday 5 September 2014

Ensure - Insure - Assure

To ASSURE is tantamount to making a promise. The manager assured the employees that they would not lose their health benefits. Cartoon source: http://inkcinct.com.au/
To ENSURE reflects the action that fulfills a promise. The captain of the cruise ship ensured that every passenger had access to life vests.

To INSURE is to provide insurance coverage. In Texas, one must insure a car at higher personal liability levels than cars in some other states.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see the difference I almost did not know there was one. I think I always took INSURE just as I might ASSURE... just words... or just a promise.. yes, to ENSURE seems much more action oriented though I did not know it necessarily meant a completed event.

    So then someone cannot make a promise and say "I ENSURE that we will have work done". Good to know - we only INSURE unless we have done something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've got it. INSURE, however, is related ONLY to insurance--not to doing or not doing something. "He will insure my house if I pay him enough." And yes, if the work has not been completed, it's better to say "I assure" to signify a promise. AND, it's more correct to say "I assure" than to say "I promise" in many situations!

    ReplyDelete